Steve’s Czech Style Pilsner
RECIPE FOR 22 LITRES
4.5kg Pilsener Malt
100gm Crystal Malt
HOPS (Mount hood or Sterling will work for this recipe too)
70gm Saaz (60 min)
14gm Saaz (10 min)
14gm Saaz (End of boil)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
White Labs WLP800 Pilsener Yeast (Wyeast pilsener yeast also suitable)
1. Mill the grains that you are going to use in to a bucket.
2. Place false bottom in the base of the pot.
3. Get 14L of water up to 68 degrees Celsius.
4. Line nylon bag in pot.
5. Slowly add milled grain into bag, mix grain while adding so dough balls don’t form. Once added bag can be tied up.
6. Temperature of water will drop couple of degrees.
7. Once grain is in, keep temperature of pot around the 66 degrees by putting a blanket or cover around the pot for 60 minutes.
8. After this time raise temperature of brew to 76 degrees and stir brew.
9. Once 76 degrees has been reached then bag of grains can be lifted out and allowed to drain in colander and bucket. The juice collected here can be added to liquid left in your pot.
10. Now get the brew to a boil and kept at a boil for 60 minutes.
11. At The start of the boil add 70gm of Saaz’s hop to the hop bag.
12. 10 mins before the end of the boil add another 10gm of Saaz’s hop to the hop bag and add your whirlfloc tablet as well (if using a coil wort chiller put this in the brew as well).
13. At the end of the boil add another 10g of Cluster Hop to the hop bag.
14. After the boil the wort needs to be chilled down to 25 degrees. If using a wort chiller use that now until temperature drops to 25 degrees.
15. If a wort chiller is not available then place pot in bucket of ice to chill to same temperature;
16. Once temperature is achieved yeast can be added.
17. Ferment beer at desired temperature for 10 days.
18. Test Specific Gravity of beer. Once 1010 has been achieved, the beer can be bottled or kegged. Enjoy!
With the salumi season almost over, we know that home brewers are starting to plan their home brewing to be ready for summer. Whether you are into grain brewing or tin brewing, the most disciplined of brewers will be brewing now and resisting the temptation to drink now before summer, allowing for optimum flavour, balance and stabilising.
We have matched the growing interest, skills and enthusiasm of our customers to a new range of products, supplies and equipment in grain brewing. Take your home brewing to the next level, and let your imagination and creativity go wild with our expanded range of grains, hops and White Lab yeasts.
Both our Reservoir and Clayton stores also offer on the spot, and complimentary grain milling for any grains purchased. You can also pre order 25Kg bags of grain by calling our Reservoir store on 03 9460 2777 or Clayton store on 03 9574 8222.
Melbourne Salami Festa Entry Forms
are now available for the 2013 Melbourne's Salami Festa
on the 15th September, 2013. If you think you've made "the best homemade salami", then be sure to enter. This is one community event and celebration of the beloved "salumi" that is not to be missed! We'll let you know as soon as tickets go on sale.
Here's an inside look at the Headquarters of "BGS Group" (Bloody Good Salami)
, as they try to take out back to back crowning for "best homemade salami" for the 2013 Melbourne Salami Festa. Will they be able to replicate that winning combination this year? I hope they took notes from last year :)
DIY Workshops (Sausage and Salami)