Melbourne's "Salami Army" is ready to do battle...
~ Melbourne Salami Festa ~
It's that time of year again when Melbourne's "Salami Army" come together on Sunday 26th October, 2014 to celebrate their beloved homemade salami at the Melbourne Salami Festa. With over 70 salami entries eager to take out the prized Judge's Choice Award for Melbourne's "Best Salami", the competition results will be highly anticipated.
The team at Home Make It are very excited to be a Major Partner this year again of the Melbourne Salami Festa and we're delighted to be facilitating The Salami Making Class at 12.15pm in the demonstration theatre. Follow the link for the Official Salami Festa Program . There will be salami tastings, food, beverages, entertainment, demonstrations, salumi market, an awards ceremony and much more.
~ Hot Off The Press! ~
We will also have our usual pop-up store at the Festa and we're super excited to be officially launching our very own range of Homemade Sausage & Salami Kits including several Homemade Sausage Recipe Kits and Homemade Salami Recipe Kits. More information on our new kits to be released soon.
The Melbourne Salami Festa recently interviewed our very own Frank Bovezza about Home Make It and the DIY Foodie Revolution, detailing an insight into the philosophy behind Home Make It and it's origins, the products and Home Make It's tips on making the perfect homemade salami.
~ Homemade "Hot Italian" Sausage Recipe ~
The salami season may be over for another year, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the craft of making fresh sausages at home to enjoy with family and friends. Here's a simple recipe to try at home.
- 2.2kg pork
- 125ml cold red wine
- 1/2-cup chopped fresh parsley
- 40g salt
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 16g ground pepper
- 12g cayenne
- 50g fennel seed
- 2-tsp crushed chilli peppers
- 40g paprika
- Trim the fat from the outside of meat (leaving some fat to your preference).
- Mince the meat semi coarsely with an electric or manual meat mincer.
- After mincing, add all the seasonings to the meat and blend by hand. Be sure to mix thoroughly to ensure that all the ingredients are spread evenly throughout the meat.
- Ensure to have sausage casings ready for filling.
- Fill the sausage filler with the meat mix. And start to fill your fresh casings.
- Twist and tie using the string.
- If making in bulk, the best way to store your sausages is vacuumed packed and kept in the freezer.
~ Upcoming Courses ~
Check out the links below for more details of our upcoming courses.
We will be releasing details of more courses shortly. Our courses are held at two convenient locations: Reservoir and Clayton.
~ Melbourne Cup Long Weekend Closure ~
Please be advised that our Reservoir and Clayton stores will be closed on Monday 3rd November, 2014 and Tuesday 4th November for the Melbourne Cup long weekend, and will re-open as per normal hours on Wednesday 6th November.
~ Shop Online ~
Shop ONLINE with the ease and security of PAYPAL and take advantage of our weekly specials by clicking the banner below!
~ Social Media ~
All the best to all our customers who have entered their homemade salami into this year's Melbourne Salami Festa.
Have a great the week!